There were many rate changes effective July 1, 2020 but none effective August 1, 2020. It is highly unusual that in over 14,000 jurisdiction in the U.S. something hasn’t changed. But we do have some other August 2020 sales tax related information for you.
August 2020 sales tax holidays
- Arkansas back-to-school sales tax holiday, August 1–2, 2020
- Connecticut clothing and footwear sales tax holiday, August 16–22, 2020
- Florida back-to-school sales tax holiday, August 7–9, 2020
- Iowa clothing and footwear sales tax holiday, August 7–8, 2020
- Maryland Shop Maryland Tax-Free Week, August 9–15, 2020
- Massachusetts sales tax holiday, August 29–30, 2020
- Mississippi Second Amendment weekend, August 28–30, 2020
- Missouri back-to-school sales tax holiday, August 7–9, 2020
- New Mexico back-to-school sales tax holiday, August 7–9, 2020
- Ohio sales tax holiday, August 7–9, 2020
- Oklahoma annual holiday, August 7–9, 2020
- South Carolina annual sales tax holiday, August 7–9, 2020
- Tennessee restaurant sales tax holiday, August 7–9, 2020
- Texas annual sales tax holiday, August 7–9, 2020
- Virginia annual sales tax holiday (three-in-one sales tax holiday), August 7–9, 2020
Litigation Delays Alameda County CA Sales Tax Hike
The campaign for Measure C on the March 3 ballot in Alameda County California won a majority of votes and was slated to take affect on July 1, 2020. But litigation, claiming the measure did not win a two-thirds approval, stopped the increase at the last minute.
Measure C would raise Alameda County’s sales tax by 0.5%, making it the highest countywide level in the state. The funds would be used for childcare, early education and a pediatric trauma center, which explains why UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital has underwritten most of the campaign costs.
Until the litigation is settled, the rate for Alameda County will remain as follows:
ALAMEDA COUNTY 9.25%
- City of Alameda 9.75%
- City of Albany 9.75%
- City of Emeryville 9.50%
- City of Hayward 9.75%
- City of Newark 9.75%
- City of San Leandro 9.75%
- City of Union City 9.75%
Watch for our exciting new Subscriber Web Portal coming soon. A place for our customers to log in quickly and easily find their products and services, billing information, and subscription details. Easy to use, uncluttered, informative! Also mobile-friendly.
Teresa Farnsworth is the VP / Account Manager at Zip2Tax. She works closely with her clients to make sure they have just what they need to collect the right amount of sales or use tax in the U.S. and Canada. Questions? CHAT with Teresa on the Web site or call 866-492-8494.